Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Munchkin Homebrew

Welcome to my Munchkin™ Homebrew page! Feel free to comment on anything you see!

I have designed the classes to be optional "replacement" classes as well. Each class has a normal Munchkin class listed next to it; you can remove that class and replace it with mine, if you'd like. Also, my class can use items restricted to the listed class (for example the Scout can use "Ranger-only" items, and can replace the Ranger if you want).

Now on to the cards:

Races

Shapeshifter
Change Shape: You may discard a card and choose a race. You can now use items as though you are that race, and monsters treat you as though you are that race. Each time you use this ability, it replaces the last race you chose.

Assume Identity: You may discard two cards at any time to take a race card from the discards and place it with this card. You are now a member of that race for all purposes; you may use that race's abilities and items, etc. You still remain a Shapeshifter and if this race card is lost, that one goes with it. Discard that race card if you use this ability again. This ability doesn't affect using Half-Breed or 1/3 Breed; you may be a half-Shapeshifter, half-(whatever) and still use this ability.


Ogre
Not Very Bright: When you sell items to gain a level, treat each item you sell as worth 100 gold pieces less than normal (minimum 100 gold pieces).

But Very Strong: Each weapon you are holding is worth an extra +1 bonus. Each empty hand is worth +2. You can carry any number of big items.


Minotaur
Gore: While you aren't wearing headgear, you get a +2 bonus in combat.

Maze-Dweller: During your turn you may discard 2 cards and look at the top 4 cards of the door deck and put them back in any order. This ability can be used before you kick open a door, or later in the turn if you choose.


Classes

Scout - Ranger
Scout Ahead: Before you kick open a door, you may look at the top two door cards and put them back in any order. Then kick down a door as normal.

In Progress!


Paladin - Cleric
Healing Touch: You may discard two cards to cancel any one curse, no matter who it affects. If you cancel a curse that affects another player, draw a face-down treasure.

Anointed Weapons: When you are in combat against Undead, Demons, or any monster "from Hell", you get a +2 bonus for each weapon you're using.


Barbarian - Warrior
Brute Strength: You can use 2-handed weapons with one hand, but if you do so you can't wear armor.

Rage: You may discard up to three cards in combat. For each card you discard, roll a die. On a roll of 1 or 2, you get a +3 bonus but a -1 to run away. On a 3 or 4, nothing happens. On a 5 or 6 you get a +3 bonus.


Assassin - Thief
Critical Strike: When you use a one-shot item, you get double the printed bonus.

Sneak Through Shadows: When you kick open a door, if you reveal a monster card you get a bonus in combat equal to half your level (rounded down, minimum +1).


Thanks for reading! Leave comments and I'll get back to you ASAP! And make sure to check back often!

The material presented here is my original creation, intended for use with the Munchkin system from Steve Jackson Games. This material is not official and is not endorsed by Steve Jackson Games.

Munchkin is a registered trademark of Steve Jackson Games. All rights are reserved by SJ Games. This material is used here in accordance with the SJ Games online policy.

6 comments:

  1. Maze dweller needs reworking its to detrimental and it doesn't really give you much benefit.

    Barbarian should be berserk not rage right?

    Ogre should be 1 fewer card and maybe cant use any edged weapon...

    paladin Should be face down treasure...

    I like all your ideas.. Maybe re work shapeshifter...

    Very good though and just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll think about maze dweller some more.

    Barbarian *should* be berserk, but that's the name of the warrior ability so I had to choose a new name.

    I'll change paladin to treasure.

    As for Ogre, I felt like one card fewer didn't offset the strength enough, and adding rules for edged weapons might be too much. I'll test it.

    What's wrong with Shapeshifter?

    Thanks for feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stormywaters,

    This is ComBAT from the Munchkin Forums.

    My general belief after reviewing your ideas is firstly, I like how well thought out they are. Nice work!
    Secondly, I think there are too many give and takes from some of them. Please take what I say as constructive as possible. I'm just trying to help.

    I will never want to be a Barbarian because the situation in me being able to use 2 2-handed weapons is much more rare than having 1 2-handed weapon and 1 armor. I will have to wait until I have 2 2-handed weapons before I'd want to become the barbarian because I'll probably have an armor that I need to wear in order to win combats. I think Rage is a little too penalizing. You lose a card and it's nearly impossible to run away from combats just for +2 to +6 combat bonuses. That's a very small reward for the sacrifice.

    The Ogre race also sound disadvantageous to me. The maximum number of cards in my hand becomes 3, correct? Why would I want to have such a penalty for a maximum benefit of +2 if I am using 2 1-handed weapons, +1 with 1 2-handed weapon, and +4 if I don't have any weapons? You'd need to cheat or somehow get more hands to use more weapons because the other slots are not weapons.

    The Minotaur Gore ability is a little too conditional to make him useful. I think you should get a +2 if you are simply not wearing headgear. The Maze-Dweller ability is too costly in my opinion. Discarding your whole hand should get you to a point where you are able to replenish it. I can't see anyone making themselves cardless in the beginning of their turn or, if done at the end of their turn, until their next turn just to re-order the next 4 cards.

    The Paladin class is little too narrow I think. I understand what you are trying to do with it, but the scope is narrowed down to helping other players from being cursed. I think that if you stop someone from being cursed, they should be forced to reward you somehow. Perhaps by giving you any card in play or from their hand. This way it is more worthwhile to someone to use that ability, but it also still affects the person being cursed. I just can't see anyone using the ability when curses are normally so much better to allow to take effect at the cost of you discarding nothing. The helping out in combat reward is pretty common in other classes I believe(Yakuza is one I think).

    The Shapeshifter race I think can add a lot of confusion because of Half-breed and curses etc. If you discard the Shapeshifter race upon assimilating a new race, that would alleviate that confusion. Or if you simply are allowed to discard one card to take a Race card that is the top card of the discards, that would make more sense also. This way you can use it from your hand when you need it and discard the Shapeshifter race to do so.

    Benefits of races and classes should not be at such forced high costs, otherwise no one will want to be those races or classes just to be them. The Barbarian and Ogre are very conditional just to get the benefit, and then you have the penalty even if you can't get the benefit. The Minotaur is almost useless if you already have headgear on because to power the other ability is at the cost of your entire hand.

    I think you're going in the right direction with your ideas. I think if you rework the benefit vs penalty side of several of them then you are really on to something! Just a few too many penalties for little benefit for me. My apologies for the over-analysis of your ideas, I'm just trying to be constructive and honest. I am just trying to put you in my shoes as if I were pretending to play your classes and races.

    Best of luck and please let me know what you think of the modifications I suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I have made some updates to the classes/races and adjusted balance a little. Keep the feedback coming!

    What do you guys think of the Scout? Good/Bad/Too Good/Not Good Enough?

    I'm working on an Assassin, so what would you like to see on there? I'm trying an ability like: When you are in combat, you can discard your hand (minimum 3 cards) to kill one monster. You get treasure and levels normally, but you CAN'T get the winning level during this combat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't really formulate an opinion on the scout to be honest. If I had to be critical of the scout, I think that for Scout Ahead, it'd be better worded as "Look at the first 2 door cards. Choose one to use to kick down the door and place the other on top of the deck."
    For the Scout for Trouble, I think makes it way too easy for the Scout to not only fight monsters on each turn, but to fight easier monsters. The fact that they can select one of the first two door cards to kick down where they may pick an easy monster, and then if they do not fight in that phase, get to have the option to pick the easiest of the next 3 door cards seems a little unbalanced to me. Plus, you don't really want to find ways to keep adding to the discard pile from the normal deck like that.

    I'm thinking that a Scout could be used to locate a monster's weakness as well. Perhaps Scout's can double to effectiveness of a one-shot item or weapon that is being used in battle. Or perhaps a Scout can avoid all curses/traps from kicking down the door because they saw them ahead of time and avoided them.

    As for the Assassin idea - I don't think you want a class that can instantly kill a monster. That is like a super-wizard ability.
    As an assassin, you aren't kicking down doors anyway. Maybe you can give them to enter the room in a sneaky way that isn't kicking down the door. From here they can do some kind of a sneak attack. This would need to be balanced in such a way that doesn't make low level assassin's over powered though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I changed the Scout's first ability to no longer cost a discard. Should it still put both cards on top of the deck?

    I will be changing the second ability, but I don't know what to. I liked the idea you posted for one-shot items, but it seemed more like an Assassin ability. I like the idea of dodging a curse, but I don't know if it will come up with them already seeing the top two cards of the deck.

    What about setting a trap? If they kick down a trap, they ignore it and can put it back on top at the end of their turn (setting a trap for the next player)?

    I made an assassin as well. It's a rough draft, but it's a start. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete